Sunday 22 October 2023

Sun, 8th Oct, 2023 Mt Panorama Volunteer Campground, Bathurst, NSW (Bathurst 1000)

Up very early to collect our food. We also had our chairs and set them up near the big screen on the 1st corner for when we can finish our shift and sit down to watch the remainder of the race. The race only starts at 11.15am and we finish as 12.30 so won’t miss too much. Bailey said we can go over to the hill and watch the start any case.

Got to our posts ready for the early opening. BOM says 4 min but it felt like -3 to me.

We had a long line of people at the gate with the chairs waiting to be able to get in and secure their position for the day with their chairs. Then they all headed back to the camps for hot coffee and breakfast while we stood in the cold.

Watched the sky divers float down.

I had a break to have my coffee and muffin as the driver parade started so watched that for a bit before going back to my spot.

Some silly people came in with an esky full of beer so the security lady took it off them and confiscated all the beer, opening each can into the bin. When I got back I jokingly asked some chaps who were coming in with an esky, ‘no grog in there I hope’ and they said yes so I quickly turned them around and said to get outside before the security lady took it off them. They had read on the website that the campers on the hill can bring in a carton a day and they were going to catch the bus up there with their grog. Unfortunately you have to come into the licenced premises to get the bus, hence you can’t bring in the grog. I said to ask someone in the near camp ground if they could just leave it there or put it back in their car, which they did. The security lady was not happy that she couldn’t take it off them - mean cow - show a bit of compassion and give them a chance to rectify the situation. Maybe the website needs to be checked if people are misinterpreting the rules. We had this problem back in 2014 with people arriving at the front gate with eskies!

It took me a long time to warm up but at last the sun won and I could take of my big coat. The Air Force Roulettes put on a fabulous display overhead. Then the big jet zoomed over us blowing out my ears. He zoomed back and forth so I had to direct people with my fingers in my ears.

Bailey manned the gate with the security guard as most people were inside ready for the start. We dashed over to watch the start of the race from the hill but could only peer through as it was full of people so I couldn’t get near our chairs which I hope are still there. I did write Geck on the back of them. Everyone was standing so I just put my phone up and got a few photos.






All good, no crashes so went back to our gates.

A lady came through saying she is sitting behind our seats and my husband was up there already as she chatted to him and he said I was only Gate 6. He must have got an early release from his gate. Our afternoon group turned up less one lady - she won’t be able to be a volunteer again to not come on the main day!

Changed my clothes and made my way through the crowd to our chairs. Steve had our bag with our lunch in it so we all good. Certainly is warmer sitting on the hill with all these people around us. Luckily we had put in our good sun cancer wide brim hats too as a lot of necks were getting burnt with their caps. We are further over from where I stood for the start so have a better view along Pit Straight then up Mountain Straight. We can even see the cars for a moment as they start the drop down the Esses at the top of the mountain. The big screen was good too so we only had to turn a bit to watch it.



There was a couple of safety cars that bunched up the cars but the last part was just a follow-the-leader so was a bit boring. In the end Shane van Gisbergen won so he was happy as it was his last time as a main driver. He did a big burnt out below us but luckily the wind was blowing the other way.

We stayed in our chairs as all the craziness started once the cars left the tracks and people climbed over the fence to try and get souvenirs by pulling off the signs etc. Very sad to see all the rubbish everyone leaves behind too though the busy group of cleaners were into it quickly. After the presentation at the Winners Dais we went down and crossed the track which was still full of people.


Headed back to the camper then joined the other volunteers at the sign in room for a thank-you dinner. Very nice beef and chicken curry with rice in between. There were some awards handed out to long standing volunteers etc. We headed back to the camper as the other categories’ trucks started heading out, blasting their horns. 

A few fireworks went off somewhere in the camp ground and a bit of loud music etc could be heard but we were very tired so we were asleep quickly.

Later on Maddie & Emily who organised the Volunteers posted this on the Facebook page as a thank you - fabulous view from the Roulette pilot.

We have enjoyed the experience but reckon we will do the afternoon shift next time!! Must be getting older - those early mornings and cold are a killer.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment