Sunday 7 September 2014

Sun, 7th Sept, 2014 Broke (exploring Hunter Valley)

Warmer morning. Lovely text from Jon for Father’s Day so I then texted Terry for Steve and rang Dad. We walked to the Sunday markets and Steve found a dollar on the way so I spent it on the handmade fingerless gloves so I can read my books and keep my hands warm!!! Mr Wombat has been back to his burrow as our twigs were knocked down. After a cuppa headed into Cessnock to look for a heater and flannelette sheets but the summer stock has arrived and we couldn’t find any.

Cessnock Brewery – not sure what the buildings were – we didn’t stop.




Turned off at little town of Bellbird where there had been a terrible mining disaster in 1923, to follow the road to Bimbadeen Lookout.





Great view but no information etc. Further on to Mt Bright Lookout which used to have tables, toilets etc but has been abandoned and now everyone leaves rubbish there.






I can see why the town was called Bellbird as at the lookout there were a lot of Bellbirds singing as well as Whip Birds. The road stopped further on and there is a 4km walk (called Great North Walk) you can do to where we had smoko the other side of the range. Had lunch then followed the road down the valley to Millfield.




The 4km walk is part of the Great Northern Road built by the convicts.

Headed back to Broke for a cuppa and quiet afternoon to do my blog and sort all the photos I took of the wedding and the gardens. Had a lovely text from Rebecca thanking me for all the photos I took on her camera.

Will see if Mr Wombat is back yet!!


No comments:

Post a Comment