Monday 14 March 2022

Mon, 14th March, 2022 Macrossan Park (near Charters Towers) to Julia Creek RV Park, Julia Creek, Qld

 

22 degrees this morning - lovely. Thick cloud blocking the sunrise.

Steve had to fix a thing on the front sway bar so I was going to upload my blog. But I couldn’t find the cable to connect the phone to the aerial. After searching everywhere Steve suggested the little compartment in the truck behind the Hema - now I remember leaving it there so we had it in the truck in case we need phone service!!

Uploaded the writing easily but the photos take forever to upload even though I have shrunk them. Maybe I need a better photo program. I am using Dad’s camera too so maybe those photos are more pixels or something than my old camera. Anyway it made for a slow process.

Headed off, across the Burdekin River - water one side and sand on the other.

Missed getting a photo of the flood levels on the other side - very high too considering how low it is now.

Blue sky with light wispy clouds as we head towards Charters Towers. Gold rocks and stamper as we enter town.


We were going to have a cuppa up Tower Hill but missed the turn off so kept going. We stopped at Balfe’s Creek which used to have a hotel and service station but is now closed up. The community centre is closed too but we could still get in to read the information on the Overlander’s Way while we had our cuppas.




Continued on then stopped at the top of the hill of Burra Range which is part of the Great Dividing Range - the sign said we were at 550m elevation. This is part of the White Mountains National Park and there is a campground to the north - the turn off is further west. I mark all these in my book for when we do Qld in more detail.


We walked out onto the rock which people have carved their names into. We didn’t of course. Nice view too. 





Nice and breezy and not hot. We had early lunch.

Through to Praire where we spotted a nice for a nice waterhole/waterfall but that was on the road down to Muttaburra so we will do that another time. 

I closed my eyes for a moment then Steve said ‘there are camels’. I managed to get a photo of them running alongside the railway line - maybe they missed the train!

Lots of long flat topped hills around here.

Spotted a few wind turbines and then a huge solar farm before we reached Hughenden.

Topped up with fuel again - the app said they were still 197.9 but when we lined up they were 222.9 now like the other place so we just paid up. Luckily we have a tail wind which is pushing us along. 

Continued on - Steve commented that at least there isn’t any roadworks and the next minute there is a stop light - really! I told him not to say any more things that might bring bad luck! More roadworks further along where they had resurfaced the road but it was still 80k/h while they wait for the line marking to be done.

Into Richmond - cute rubbish bins and a great mural on the water tower.



We went around to the water park by Lake Fred Tritton (built in 2002) to have a cuppa. Hot dry wind blowing now.



Steve found a friend.


Back through town - Richmond’s icon.

Across Julia Creek which has water in it and into the township of Julia Creek. There were two parts.


We went back out of town to the RV camp by the lagoon - very nice. No one else is here so we chose a spot. Very hot and the flies are very keen to say hello.

6pm still 37 degrees in the camper but we are very comfortable with our fans and just enjoyed our drinks and read our books till the sun set just after 7pm - missed that photo as I was writing my blog!

I won at Phase 10 tonight. Uploaded my blog without the aerial as we have good reception in town and the photos uploaded quickly so it might just have been a signal strength problem this morning. Might mean I won't be able to upload too much in NT as a lot of the highway is Optus, so don't fret if I don't upload too regularly - I will get it uploaded when I can.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment