Wednesday 8 March 2023

1st to 7th Mar, 2023 Erica & Terry’s place, Bundaberg, Qld to Tom & Sandy’s place, Thornlie, WA (visit with Roald & Joan on the way)

The lovely singing butcher bird was back to serenade me while I read my book on the front porch. Such beautiful sounds and he enjoyed it when I whistled back.

Visited Hazel again. Kevin still in care after his knee operation. Terry went in and visited Erica alone as I had been in the morning while the cleaner came but she was sound asleep.


Nice day out at the pokies with Erica again for the last time for me as I leave on Sunday. She enjoys it but tires quickly now but we had some wins and a win on Keno so she was happy.


Did my washing and packed my suitcase ready for my train trip south Sunday morning to Cooroy. Spending a couple of days with my cousin Roald and Joan before heading back to Steve in WA.

Last visit to Erica. So glad I have been able to help her and Terry out as the paperwork in latter life is a nightmare but we have things all sorted.


Tears as I said farewell to Terry at the train station. He headed off to visit Erica. When I went around to find a seat I heard the train was an hour late! Luckily I had made a thermos of coffee and had my Anzac biscuits and a good book. Chatted with a couple with their 3 grandchildren who were triplets, born at 25 weeks and so little but they are all doing well aged 7. Reminded me of our Anthony when she showed me their baby photos.

The train eventually arrived and we headed off at 11.18 - was supposed to be 10.05 but oh well I have plenty of time. Messaged Joan and will let her know as we get closer.

Eventually we arrived and Joan picked me up at Cooroy Station. We stopped off at the shops and I tried photographing a fabulous mural - my phone camera isn’t as good as my other camera. Joan said there are little ‘ladies’ hidden in the painting and she pointed out one.




So lovely to see her and Roald again. Had a lovely afternoon chatting. Time to feed the birds - her pet Kookaburras - there are 9 at the moment, a couple of magpies and butcher birds and a few kangaroos hanging around.


Lovely evening chatting over a delicious dinner Joan cooked. All quiet here now the birds have gone to bed - no traffic noise. Will sleep well tonight.

Joan and I went for a walk around the neighbourhood then we had breakfast. They have such a big yard - lots of work but she loves it.

We headed out for the day to explore Kandanga and Imbil where some our Doyle ancestors (our great grandmother’s family on Dad’s father’s side) moved to with timber mills etc.

We called in on Lola who is the younger sister of Doreen, a good friend of Mum and Dad’s. Roald had called into Doreen’s sister’s place at Carter Ridge last year but the gate was locked so we tried again. On the fence it says THISILDOO - good name. It was open so we drove up and Lola was home with her daughter (who was on the phone on a work call). I had forgotten I had met Lola in Tully when we visited Doreen last year - I wondered why she looked so familiar!! She remembered me of course which was a bit embarrassing. It was nearly lunchtime so we only stayed for a short chat and will call and arrange a visit again later in the year. Lola was lovely and I remember Dad saying she looked like a movie star when she was younger. There is a nice free camp on the way up here too.

Stopped at Imbil and had a wander up the lane with lots of history to read. Will do it in more detail when we come back and I have my camera instead of using the phone camera. No mention of the Doyles timber involvement but it did mention Peggy Doyle who was the first woman aviator to do a solo flight.




Around to the old Forestry workshops etc which is all now owned by HQPlantations (they acquired it off the government in 2010 and have 320,000 hectares of pine plantations) so Roald had to sign us in so we could walk up behind the buildings to where a plaque was about a Forestry Convention held in 1928 and the names of the people who planted the trees here and down the lane. The plaque was metal and hard to read and when Roald was last here the area was covered in junk so the local chap showing him around complained to the staff here and obviously they did listen has it has been cleaned up which is good. There was another conference in 1922 where they planted trees too but no indicator of which trees these were. These are the ones near the plaques then there is a lane way of trees from the roads.






Beautiful stag horns are everywhere.

Down the lane and across the road is Yabba Creek and our great grandmother Mary’s brother John had a sawmill here in 1911 but nothing to show for it now.

We continued on to Brooloo and found the information board about the Rail trail. Another Doyle brother, Andrew had his sawmill around here (1909).


Turned back and headed to Kandanga and stopped at the cemetery where a couple of graves are. Another brother to Mary is James and his wife Marion are buried here. They were actually first cousins!! Also a young son of John and Maggie Doyle is buried here too. John and his wife retired to Brisbane.




Looking across from the cemetery to the flat ground that Peggy Doyle landed her plane on according to the info back in Imbil.

Across Kandanga Creek to the original homestead of John and Maggie Doyle.



Nearer the creek is what remains of the sawmill.

Headed back towards home but turned off to Dagun to check out the rail stop here for the Mary Valley Rattler.

Continued on to Amamoor and had an icecream while we read the info plaques by the railway station.




Not sure why there is a tap at the top of the lights with the little glass ball!

Across the Mary River as we headed towards home.

We had a lovely day out. This is the area we travelled.

We went through all the family history stuff on my laptop and I gave Roald a heap more stuff to read.

 

Another lovely walk with Joan listening to the birds morning chorus. Went around to their rental unit to change the sheets etc - only rent to family and a few friends. Pottered about after that and got my bag packed. Had lunch then headed into Tewantin to catch the shuttle bus to Brisbane airport. Will see Roald and Joan later in the year for the wedding.

Interesting drive down through the beach towns picking up a couple of people then we swapped to a bit bigger bus for the drive to the airport. Arrived at 4.30 so only had 20 minutes to wait to put my suitcase in. All auto now which of course wasn’t working properly. Got through then security and found my gate to sit and have a cuppa as I need to empty my thermos. They made us line up to have our hand luggage weighed - didn’t do it to Stephen. We had a few Asians who had lots of hand luggage hence the weigh-in. I passed so all good. I booked an aisle seat - actually 1B so right at the front and I had booked dinner etc too as we had the credit to use up. Had a nice lady on the window who was happy to just look at her movie. I was in the middle and chatted with the chap beside me who was from London and was doing a 6 week trip around and had just come back from Cairns. He loved it even with the rain and humidity. He said it was the best place he had seen in his travels. Heading back to Fremantle to his brother then the long flight back to London. He will certainly come back and loved the idea of touring around like us but unfortunately his wife is a homebody and won’t travel.

We had a turbulent start as it was quite windy in Brisbane and they brought out the meals quickly so my coffee was spilling out - no cap to the cup. I had another $10 credit so used it for a little bottle of wine to help me go off to sleep - worked!

Windy here too as we landed at 10.15pm WA time (12.15am Qld time). Steve came around with the camper and off we went back to Tom & Sandy’s place to park up for the night. They are still in Bali till the 13th so we will come back and see them. Aah to be back in my bed with my man - life is good again. Still thinking of Erica and Terry and hope things go ok.


No comments:

Post a Comment