Monday 21 October 2019

Sun, 20th Oct, 2019 Bob & Margaret’s place, Florida Beach, near Mandurah, WA to Mum & Dad’s place, Cairns, Qld



Warmer evening. Bleak looking sky this morning, like a fog has rolled in from the sea.

Quiet morning reading etc. Packed my bag for my trip home tonight.

After lunch we drove into the Mandurah train station and caught the train into Perth. We got off at Elizabeth Quay. The sky is clearer up here but there is a band of clouds to the south-west of us.

We walked across to where the ferries depart from. The water park donated by BHP is working now. It was under construction the first time we came here and had water problems on the next visit.

Headed to the bridge. Bob and Margaret haven't been in here since they did all the changes to Elizabeth Quay. They only knew it as the Esplanade.

Lots of interesting information around the boardwalk. Great aerial photo taken in 2011 when they had a Big Aussie BBQ for the Queen. Certainly has changed with all the buildings built up around the bell tower which is in the centre.

I took this photo from the bridge – the bell tower is hidden behind a new high-rise on the right.

This old photo is looking down the Swan River across the Narrows (which now has a bridge over it) with Kings Park on the hill to the right and the Swan Brewery the big building further along on the right hand side.

Nice mural of the famous black swans.

We continued around to a café in front of the bell tower. A black swan came by.


We walked around to the Supreme Court Gardens spotting some black cockatoos nibbling on the tree’s nuts.



Across the road a new hotel is under construction with a lovely flower bed out front.

We walked up through the garden and around the Supreme Courthouse to some kangaroos.




Across the road the bells were ringing in the old church. Next door was another lovely old building. Such a contrast to the ultra-modern building behind it.


The jacaranda trees are in bloom.

Continued along the road to London Court. Unfortunately Zena’s shop was closed as it would have been good to see how they went with their hire car after they stayed with us at Sandstone.


Bob said how he loved to come as a kid and what the knights joust when the clock chimed. We were 10 minutes too late.


Great verse underneath the clock.

We walked back to the waterfront. The clouds have come over making it dark and cooler. The carousel looks lovely – only $6 a ride.


We bought a yummy burger for early dinner as kids played in the water squirting up in the BHP water park.

Walked back to the railway station and said farewell to Bob and Margaret. Will see them again one day somewhere. They will head up and spend some time with Steve at the end of next week.

I walked around to the bus station and had a 20 minute wait for the bus to the airport. Rang Mum to say I am on my way home.

Got to the airport at 7pm – only 5 hours to wait for the flight home. Got a cuppa and wrote up my blog to pass the time before I can check in at 9pm.

Jetstar are cracking down on carry-on luggage. I thought I was ok with my backpack and laptop but I did an early check and realised I was 4kg over my 7kg allowance. Last time I travelled it was fine so continued to the boarding area.

A flight to Sydney was getting ready to board and the staff brought out scales and started weighing everyone’s hand luggage – oops. I decided to off load some ‘extra’ stuff I brought. I got the chap to check mine bags early and I was still 7.8kg but he said I was ok and gave me my sticker. Won’t be doing any shopping in Cairns now!!

At last the called us to board at 11.30pm. I got an aisle seat in Row 5 which was great. Now for the 4 hour flight home.



No comments:

Post a Comment