Thursday 21 July 2022

Mon, 4th July, 2022 Bush camp by Gibb River, Kalumburu Road, WA (Mum’s birthday)

6am only 11 degrees and the sky is blue and clear. There is a very nippy breeze blowing in the pop-top windows.

Mum would have been 91 today but I think I will change it to remembering it as the Day of her Birth. She will always live on in my heart.

8am we decided it was time to get up. The sun had warmed things up to 15 degrees. I decided baking was in order to warm up the camper so did the usual and then some pikelets for morning tea. Still have a big jar of Rosella jam to eat.

Sat in the sun with our cuppas watching the birds flit here and there chasing bugs and the black cockatoos get upset when a hawk flew in. There are corellas too (they call them white cockatoos over here). A bee-eater flittered around us and sat on a branch near us for a while so we could get a good look at his pretty colours.

More vehicles zooming back and forth over the crossing. A few more campers have pulled in while others just keep on going.

Continued with my blog then had lunch in the sun to warm up and the camper hasn’t warmed up too much.

I had just walked outside when I saw a tow truck and it was Craig waving at me. He had another poor soul’s vehicle on the back heading back to Kununurra. Boy, Craig must know every bump on these roads.

More vehicle came and went and there are lots of kids about who are enjoying the water and sandy beach. WA school holidays have started so there might be more families on the road now.

Camp oven dinner tonight so Steve got the fire going early as we need it to keep warm as the sun sets. I even found another bottle of port to drink!

A blue-winged kookaburra sat in the tree beside us killing his catch and I didn’t have my camera. He flew down to the crossing and had a drink of water then flittered throughout the trees around us. So lovely.

Steve cooked a lovely dinner on the fire but we ate inside as the temperature has dropped so much the food would be cold before we ate it.

10pm down to 14 degrees - need to get out more winter woolies and the flannelette sheets if this is going to keep up.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment