Tuesday 5 April 2016

Sat, 2nd Apr, 2016 Baird Bay camp area, Eyre Peninsula, SA (fishing & Cape Labatt sea lions)


Cool misty morning, 19 degrees.  Lou sent the first birthday text getting me out of bed!! Steve gave me a hand egg beater and a block of Lindt chocolate. I had been looking for a beater for a while as beating butter and sugar is hard with a fork!! He had found it at Big W in Port Augusta. Then he cooked me breakfast.


Erica and Terry rang then Kaylene and Rick. Kaylene said they were going to dinner for my birthday with Wendy, David, Rebecca and Clive!!

The sun is out and it is warming up. Ian and Kylie headed off to go fishing. Then Mum and Dad rang, singing me happy birthday. So nice to hear from everyone as the texts started coming through.

Drove back along the beach and out to the ocean beach. Leanne and Rick rang – they are heading to Ayres Rock. Then Daniel rang – I just love hearing from my boys. While I was chatting young Toby had caught a couple of little WA Salmon.

Went down to the beach to fish. Not much action then Steve caught two King George Whitings. I moved up the beach some more than got a nice salmon. Kylie took a photo – it doesn’t look very big in the photo!! But it was a good meal size. Jon had rung while we were fishing so I rang him back. Got some more texts – Carolyn wished me happy 35th, she said remember how Dot says to turn it around so you can be younger – I like that idea.

Headed back for lunch with a few fish each. Steve replaced Ian’s gas hose on his BBQ – slowly getting through our spare parts. I went online to upload to my blog and check my Facebook messages – got lots – so nice to hear from everyone. Linda sent a message to see if I found a birthday gift in the cupboard above the stove. There is a note sticky taped there about the stove and she had slipped $50 in there that we had given her for fuel or something. Goes to show how much cleaning I do!! Boy did we laugh. Rang her and we laughed again – so glad she told me as if I had found it, it would have driven me crazy trying to work out where it came from!!

After smoko we headed off around Baird Bay to check out the sea lion colony at Point Labatt on the other side of Calca Peninsula. Stopped to check out the info board near  the church and hall at Calca.



Across the road was an old house with rock fence that has been abandoned – what a shame.


Around the northern end of Baird Bay.


Turned off at the sand dunes and headed down the peninsula.

A lot of water out there in the bay.

Stopped at the lookout. The aboriginal story of the wombat and the seal.

Onto the boardwalk.


Below is a big rocky platform with a few sea lions lazing about.



Great cliffs too.


Surf's rolling in.


The sea lion info boards.


Found a few more.


NZ fur seals also come here – maybe they are the ones closest to the water.

A sea lion swam in then clambered up disturbing the others which I got on video.




Looking south as the waves roll in.


Big rolling wave out wide.


Drove back up the track and stopped in a pull off area. I went over the rise to check out the view. There was another point going out.

Looking back to the sea lion area.

I walked out onto the point for a view in the next bay and beyond to Searcy Bay.




I can see across the peninsula to Baird Bay.

Back to camp and the backpackers are back. They went on the Ocean Eco Experience here and swam with the sea lions and some dolphins down near the entrance to Baird Bay. They said it was fantastic but freezing cold.

Ian, Kylie and Toby had gone to check out Murphys Haystacks then we passed them as they went out to the sea lions. When they got back we had drinks and laughed as we realised they had the same surname as the island – Jones.

A lovely birthday with new friends and lots of messages from all my family and friends. Headed inside as it got cooler and the wind picked up. No TV signal again so missed watching Race 4 at Symmons Plains. Malcolm rang to wish me happy birthday too and they are heading out there tomorrow to watch the race.




No comments:

Post a Comment