Wednesday 20 July 2016

Tues, 19th July, 2016 Bush camp near Sandy Creek, east of Nullagine, WA


7am 17 degrees – a lot warmer this morning.

Headed off back along the main road towards a big mine area but turned off before and headed across up and down the cleared areas and the spinifex then across Camel Creek. The trees are starting to bloom. 


Stopped to check out an old mine area. The big funnel sucked out the dust etc from the underground mine. 



Walked down to check it out. 



The structure was still intact over the shaft. I put the flash on – it’s a long way down. 



Good view from the top across Camel Creek and the hills. 


Zoomed in on the open cut mine in the distance. 



Spotted two other vehicles and then two chaps detecting so continued on and found a spot to detect. I stayed around the trucks and the boys wandered off. I got a loud signal down in the creek bed and thought I was onto something as it was stuck down in the shale. Unfortunately it turned out to be some lead. As I meandered thinking it was nearly coffee time – I don’t have the same long term determination as the boys, I got a really loud signal. I thought it was rubbish again but dug it any case and was rewarded with a lovely flat nugget.

The boys only got rubbish so we headed back to camp for lunch. We stopped at and old timer’s open mine for a look. Not deep but imagine digging all that out with a shovel. 


Headed off this time in the other direction and wandered up and down the slopes but no luck for any of us. Steve got hold of the camera to get a photo of me detecting – last one he took was from the rear so hence it didn’t make it into the blog!! The flies hadn’t arrived yet so I didn’t have my other fashion accessory – my fly net. 



He took a couple shots of Jeff wandering over the cleared areas.



Drove back towards camp then turned off to an old mining camp area – lots of rubbish here.


Jeff checking if he can use that pole to extend his aerial.

The poor old van has seen better days.

Back to camp to weigh all the gold – sadly only 0.26 grams, but at least it is gold.


I had texted Erica and she rang so we had a lovely chat. They had been to the Mundubbera Church Centenary celebrations as they were married there and became celebrities as they were the longest married couple there, nearly 59 years.

Steve and Jeff wandered off to try and get something for their jars today. I said they should go over where I raked all the rocks. Steve didn’t get anything but Jeff came back with a little bit from another spot and said we should take the 2300 over as he had another murmur he wasn’t sure about. We all trotted over with the moon shining brightly and Steve had his head lamp on. I had my drink and when Steve tested the hole with my detector there was a signal. Should have had the camera as I was digging with the pick still holding my drink in the other hand. Eventually we dug out a lovely little nuglet which we gave to Jeff as he first detected the sound. It weighed 0.4 grams. Steve went back over where I had raked as he had got a couple of murmurs with his detector but they didn’t turn into gold.

We were sitting by the fire when Steve said ‘what’s that in the sky’ and we watched a big white light move very face from west around to the east level with the horizon, just above the top of the hills, then it disappeared from sight over a hill. Didn’t hear any noise or see any explosions so we think it must have been a meteorite but going across rather than falling down like most ‘falling stars’ do. It was quite amazing. I rang Mum and Dad to see what Dad thought. Will have to see if there is any mention on the news tomorrow.

Just starting to cool off at 8pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment