Tuesday 14 June 2016

Mon, 13th June, 2016 Lake Mason Homestead, 56km NE of Sandstone, WA (My 1st WA nugget I detected myself)


7.30am 18 degrees and overcast and still. Rain early this morning. After breakfast got onto the Tengraph and Google Earth to look for a better road to get to the scrapes the boys went to yesterday. I found the fence line track from the station heading down past Baster Well and 40 Mile Well then the quartz outcrop they had seen and the scrapes. The Google photos were from 2006 and there was even a van parked there. Saved the photo of the Lake Mason homestead area. There were a lot more buildings here then.

Headed off past the homestead and down the airstrip till we found the track that ran along the fence line. No fence left anymore. Passed Baster well, tank and water trough.


The track runs along the edge of part of Lake Mason – no water in it at the moment.


The quartz hill shone in the sunlight. Dark clouds heading towards us unfortunately.

There are still cattle wandering around. Not too worried about us driving past.

Stopped at 40 Mile well – another sign spelt incorrectly!!


The well was dry.

Continued along the track over some creek crossings (no water). Then we turned off onto an old two wheel track hoping it will lead to the scrapes. Got to about 800m away but the creek areas were too thick with trees. Rain started so we headed back to try another track on the other side of the creek area. Got to 100m away but another creek area to cross and it was a lot rougher this way. Headed over to the quartz hill for lunch.


The sun came out and I climbed up the rocks for a look around. Steve climbed higher of course. There was quartz spread all around but there is no gold in it. We need ironstone and the quartz apparently!!

Good view over another part of Lake Mason – it goes a long way.




Looking south to Jasper Hills.

Looking back towards the Homestead which we can spot because of the Telstra tower.


The rain squalls have passed so we headed back for another try to get to the scrapes. Steve went for a walk to try and find the track across while Jeff and I wandered with the detectors. I found nothing – not even rubbish. Jeff found some wire!!

Steve found a sort of path across so we bush-bashed our way and arrived at the scrapes. Jeff has a spare detector so we all headed off. Steve gave me a crash course. I found one sound straight off but Steve said it was hot rock and the fact that it had rained will make it harder. Not far from that I found another signal. Dug down and got hard shale rock. I wasn’t sure if it was hot rock again so left it for Steve to check out. Found another hole – same thing  - left it open to be checked too. Steve came back and confirmed the first hole did have a target and I scraped away (he did help with cracking the rock for me!!) and then the sound was out of the hole. I had found my first piece of gold ever!! I put it in my bottle with some water to clean it – I wasn’t sticking it in my mouth like he does!!

Steve got the camera out for some evidence photos!!





Steve and Jeff didn’t find anything – talk about beginner’s luck!! Headed back as the sun was setting behind dark clouds on the horizon.

Instead of going down the airstrip we followed another track back to the homestead but had to cross to creek areas which Steve did slowly and we sunk in the wet mud!! He had to get out and put the hubs in so we could drive out.

Stopped for some firewood then back to camp to get the fires going and have a nice hot shower. As I was drying myself I noticed one of my studs had disappeared. Had a look on the floor with the torch but couldn’t see it and I couldn't remember when I last felt it being there!! Swapped gold for gold hey!! Checked the van, bed, truck and along the ground.

The wind picked up a lot bringing a shower of rain so that put the end to sitting around the fire. David and Majella sent a text saying they were at Mount Flora near Leonora and found 11 grams for the afternoon – one nugget was 7 grams. We could do with some that size. They have a 4wheeler and can zip about more.

My nugget weighed 0.4grams so I was very happy with that.

Put it with Steve’s 0.3gram first WA nugget to keep.

Quiet night watching a movie as the rain pitter pattered on the roof of the van.


No comments:

Post a Comment