Monday 27 May 2019

Fri, 17th May, 2019 Bush camp near Jubilee Hill, 50km south of Laverton, WA



6.30am 16.7 degrees and overcast.

7.30am 16.4 degrees and we can hear the pitter patter of raindrops falling on the van. It is cooler outside with the cold wind blowing.

Ray and Carol went for a drive and found a better spot to camp – doesn’t appear to be as much rubbish around. Claus and Wolfgang’s camp is nearby so it must be a good spot.

Packed up camp and moved down the track. 

As we were setting up Claus was detecting nearby and came over to say hi. I introduced myself so he would remember we met at Malcolm Dam when they were camped near Mark and Heidi. He said his wife, Mona, had got a few pieces near here yesterday. He camped here the first time he came and they had found heaps of little bits. He found another patch so had moved over to that spot as he only has the big truck/camper so can’t drive around like us. He said it is not as good here as the first time he got 10 ounces then last year only 2 ounces but he had 1 ½ ounces so I reckon he is still doing ok. He said Mark and Heidi had hit the jackpot with a couple of lovely big nuggets. Will have to catch up with them this afternoon. He and Wolfgang were heading back to Kalgoorlie to vote and do shopping.

Carol got out her detector and got a little nuglet near her van followed by another one – that’s a good sign. Steve and I had a cuppa then I headed off with my detector while Steve made the fireplace (Margaret had found bricks and big bits of quartz from another fireplace nearby).

The mist had come in so I asked the gold fairies for one bit of gold before I head back to the van. Next swing I got a target and out came a little bit of gold. I was getting wet and cold so headed straight back to the van.

Back to the van for another cuppa as we played two games of Skipbo – 1 game each, before lunch. I made some griddle scones and reheated the sauce from last night’s dinner which made a lovely soup. Nice and warming on this cold day. Only 15 degrees in the van.

I went back to my spot when the mist cleared as I thought I had heard another target and I did. I then found another one. Headed back to the van happy with my little bits. The wind was very cold. Steve got the fire going to warm our shower water – I said you are a bit early as it is only 1.30pm!!

Played some more games of Skipbo while warming up with glasses of port.

Mark and Heidi called in – they had been into Laverton to get some shopping. They got out their show and tell which was fabulous to see. I hope we get something special like that too.

After a cuppa we went for a drive to check out the other leases. Found the old shearing shed and an old dozer. The station is now owned by a mining company but they still have cattle on it as Rob and the mustering crew came here in March to clear out some of the cattle.


As we drove around an old mine area Steve spotted something move and it turned out to be this camel. He trotted away from us then stopped and looked back giving me time to get a couple of photos before he wandered off.


Back to camp to stand around the fire. The wind is still blowing and very cold so we decided to have our drinks inside our vans with our heaters on today!

Bob put on his generator for his freezer so we plugged in too to top up our batteries as there wasn’t any sunshine for the solar panels today.

Forecast is for -1 degree tomorrow morning – ouch. So glad we have our diesel heater. Hope we find lots of gold to make up for being so cold.

I put one of the thermometers outside and at 6pm it was 11 degrees. Nice and warm in the van of course.

The clouds have disappeared by 10pm and the near full moon is shining brightly. It was only 2 degrees outside then!

No comments:

Post a Comment