Monday 2 December 2019

Mon, 25th Nov, 2019 Gregories Campground, Francois Peron National Park, Shark Bay, WA



6am 20 degrees, band of cloud on the horizon. The wind settled about 1am but is gusting up a bit more now. The willy wagtails and crows are up and about.

Last night when I walked to the toilets I was greeted by white sand crabs with one big nipper. They have been wandering around our truck to as their tracks are everywhere.

The tide is low again. After breakfast we went fishing as the tide started to come back in. Walked up to the spot I chose yesterday and I landed a nice size whiting straight off. I had only flicked the line 6 feet in front of me just off the edge of the sea grass.


I got a couple more but Steve was missing out.

He wound in the big line which he was hoping to get something bigger on and brought in a whiting. I gave him the credit for that catch even if the whiting hooked itself!


We got a couple of little ones then one last one to make 5 for dinner. Little sharks cruised along the shallow between us and the sea grass so that was the end of the whiting.

Mr Pelican flew in but he is too early as we haven’t filleted the fish yet.

Went back to camp for a cuppa. Steve scaled and filleted the fish and Mr Pelican isn’t around so a couple of sea gulls scored the remains. Just after Steve finished Mr Pelican came back – bad timing old boy.

We tried fishing out the front but more sharks are moving around as the tide rises and nothing is biting here. I walked back to my spot and got a nice one straight up again. Then a little bream which I let go and a nice stripey that I kept for bait.

A big white shape cruised out in the sea grass – a shark so I stepped back from the edge a bit more. Steve wandered up with the camera as he only got a little stripey. The shutter is starting to play up on the camera – I do wear them out with all the photos I take. We have two back-up cameras now as well as the Tablet and phone so I am all covered.


I ended up with 6 nice whiting – another dinner taken care of. Fish filleted and no birds around for ‘snacks’.

Had lunch with the wind blowing the sand around. We both agree that living in the truck in windy weather isn’t much fun but it is part of the adventure. At least we know we have our comfortable van to go back to. At least the flies aren’t bad here.

Read our books in the shade of our awning for a while. The goat came back to the point and I heard another one calling so it must have a friend.

I went back to my spot for another fish. More small sharks moving around. I got a few nibbles but I think it was little bream as they nibble hard whereas the whiting just take the bait and are hooked. A big shovel-nose shark slowly cruised by in front of me – only a couple of feet away – I didn’t have my camera. The wind is really strong here now so I gave up and went back to camp for a cuppa and read my book.

Had another fish and got two little whiting which I let go. The sharks aren’t helping our cause of course.

A few people have called in during the day for a quick look. Nobody else is staying to camp for the night. Had an early shower to make the use of the sun heated water.

Drinks in the shade shelter – needing our flannies again as it is cooling off as the sun drops. Cooked the fish and vegies on the BBQ – yum yum.

Had a cuppa outside watching the stars and satellites – should have brought some port. Into bed with our books as the wind continued to blow outside.



No comments:

Post a Comment