Thursday 12 May 2016

Wed, 11th May, 2016 Bush camp, 14km SE of Meekatharra, WA (26.5g nugget)


The phone rang and I jumped for it saying ‘I wake up with Today’ as I didn’t know the number but unfortunately it wasn’t the Block of Cash ringing!! A friend of Jenny & Steve’s who wanted advice on camping at Bathurst.

14 degrees at 7am, clear sky and still, but by 8.30 the wind was back and gusty again.

Steve decided to go for a drive further south along the track to detect. I finished marking the maps in Brian’s book and started on my family history.

Jeff & Lyn came back with no luck this morning. Steve arrived back and gave me this lovely ‘agate-like’ rock.


When I asked how he went, he said ‘how much for a toasted sandwich’. I said ‘5 grams of gold’. So he said ‘well how much for it served topless!’ I said ‘10 grams’ then he said strip off and handed me a huge nugget. He was so excited and I gave him a big kiss then I rushed down to the others to show them. I had already made his salad and now I had the gold so he missed out on the topless bit!!


Put it on the scales and we were over the moon with 26.5g. Not quite the ounce but thrilling. He said it was near where he parked in what looked like an exploratory drill site and he couldn’t believe it when he found it. He even when Yahoo to the bush.

He was going to come straight back but decided he better check for others. Unfortunately it was an orphan though he did find two more little bits, 0.8 grams total.

After lunch I got him to pose for a photo. He was on cloud nine – so exciting to see him so excited too. Hope it’s not the only one he finds!! I rang Mum and Dad to share our excitement.



He and Jeff headed back to the spot to try again. Lyn and I chatted then went into the van for a cuppa and I taught how to play Sequence. She picked it up quickly so we played a few games then went out to get the firewood.

I sent private messages to family and friends via Facebook to tell them our exciting news. They were all impressed.

The boys came back, Jeff got one 1.2 gram piece but Steve had changed his coil and didn’t find anything. He was still excited with his big one so all was good. I washed it up in Napisan and scrubbed it with a toothbrush but there is still a bit of ironstone stuck to it that will come off with some acid.

Rick had rung before so Steve rang him back and he was most impressed with the news. Then he rang Erica and Terry with the news but apologised that it is too big for her pendant. It is a nice piece – might even keep it for a pendant for me though it is a bit heavy!!

Dinner in the bushcooker tonight and I even gave him cheesecake and icecream for dessert.



No comments:

Post a Comment