Monday 1 August 2016

Sun, 24th July, 2016 Bush camp, Mosquito Creek Goldfields, NE of Nullagine, WA (Erica’s 80th birthday)


7am 17 degrees, strong winds from the east now and it has clouded over again. Folded in the awning to half even though the wind is hitting the van on the other side it is still flapping around a lot.

Drove to the phone reception area near the airstrip and rang Erica to wish her a happy 80th. Family and friends were joining them for lunch at the Bowls Club in Woodgate, Brian had flown down too and she was very happy to get cards from her grandchildren.

Headed round to Millionaire’s Gully and had a cuppa before hitting the slopes. Jeff was joining us after he checked out another gully. I dug a few bits of steel near the truck then headed down near one of the gullies and got a little piece. I got another under a grass tuff on the edge of the creek area and then rubbish after that in the creek. Steve called out and I wandered over to check out his find. He had got a faint signal next to a hole dug by Mr Smiley Face man (he puts smiley faces in rocks on his gold finds). Another person just puts one rock in the centre of his hole. Steve dug out 3 more nuggets and two were a very nice size. I headed along that edge and found a little nugget amongst all the other holes.

Went back to the truck for lunch – the wind is still howling and darker clouds are coming over. Steve took some photos of his and Mr Smiley’s holes. Steve realised afterwards he forgot to take a photo of his new big smiley face he put on his hole.




And me looking very fashionable!!

And the truck!!

I went along from where I got my nugget and found a cute little nugget attached to some white quartz. Kept wandering but didn’t find any more. A few drops of rain started to fall so I walked back to the truck to close it up and then wandered down through the creek etc. As I headed back to the truck a flock of galahs landed near me for a moment then flew off again – hadn’t seen any before and here were about 40 of them. No more gold so packed up and headed back to camp. A little dingo ran across the road – the poisoned baits haven’t got him yet!!

I ended up with 4 pieces, 1.08 grams though there is the bit of quartz in there.

Steve got 4 pieces for 3.05 grams so we are very happy with our haul. Shame there aren’t ounces!!

I whipped up a small damper to have with our leftover stew. The timber here makes good coals even though the wind is still blowing strongly. Starting to run of our movies so watching Top Gear from Season 1 in 2002!!


No comments:

Post a Comment