Monday 1 August 2016

Tues, 26th July, 2016 Bush camp, Mosquito Creek Goldfields, NE of Nullagine, WA


Windy night again. 7am 17.3 degrees, clear sky overhead but still a band of clouds on the horizon.

Jeff headed back to his gully so we turned off and checked out where Allan (the chap with the two nuggets weighing 7 ounces) was camped. Across the creek were a lot of scrapes so we wandered around there. I got a nice nuglet on one of the windrows where there were a few other holes. Unfortunately that was the only one. Steve got two from another dozer scrap further up the hill. As he was walking back he got a strong signal in a dug hole so he thought he would see what it was. He dug down further and got bedrock and still a good signal so he kept digging. I got the pin-pointer to try and locate it and we found the signal was actually further up the wall of the hole. It was an old coke can – what a disappointment. There was still another signal in the bottom so dug that out and it was a bit off the can!!

Back to camp for lunch, 27 degrees. Folded in the awning as the wind was making it flap a lot. We drove down to the bore to fill up all our containers with water. We have kept all the cola and mineral water bottles which is handy. Used the filter to take a bit more of the salty taste out of it. Lovely and clear and fine for showering and washing up.

Steve dropped me back at the van and I headed over to see if any more gold has grown on my patch!! Steve drove back down the road a bit and detected there. No joy at my patches so I wandered around but the wind was so strong it was nearly blowing me over. I decided to go back to the van for a cuppa. I picked up my pick and then swung the detector and got a signal where the pick had been. Scraped the top with my boot and the signal moved – I could see the gold in the rock. Fancy that.

No more friends for him so went back towards the van. Steve had got a nuglet near the van so I went over the area and got a signal. It was very small but I eventually got it.

Tried some scrapes across the road after my cuppa but I only got rubbish. I had said this morning that ‘I was going out to get gold’, and I did so now I just need to add how much gold I am going to get!!

Steve’s two bits weighed 0.77 grams. He didn’t get any more gold this afternoon so he took my 2300 for a walk and he got another target on my first patch – a bit further up from my last one, 0.90 nuglet. Everyone says, no one gets all the gold!! Jeff got three bits too – we are not rolling in gold but the little bits are slowly adding up.

My first bit today weighed 0.68 grams. The little bit near camp weighed 0.05!!



I took a photo through the jeweller’s loop of my specimen piece.



Another clear night but the wind is still blowing hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment