Saturday 10 September 2016

Tues, 6th Sept, 2016 Bush camp near Granite Hills Well, 45km E of Nullagine, WA


7.30am 21.2 degrees, clear sky and a gusty wind.

Back to Steve’s patch so I can go over it with the 2300. He did a very good job with his detector as I only got one tiny little one beside one of his cairns.

I did find 6 rocks with gold in them so it will be interesting to see how much gold as one of the rocks it huge. I got one more little nuglet from the creek. Steve meanwhile was onto another patch nearby – a very small area but he got 16 nuglets.

The wind has come up strong from the west making it ‘fun’ to hear the detectors. Steve had walked over the hill and found a nice quartz specimen and a penny which was buried deep in a creek. I could make out 1863 and Queen Victoria.


When we start up the truck our Hema Navigator (man voice) always announces ‘GPS fix OK’ so I have named him ‘Dicky Knee’ from Hey Hey Its Saturday because we always have a cap on our Hema to keep him cool!!

Drove over to where Steve got the specimen. Another dry blower left to slow erode away.



Steve got one more little nuglet – I found nothing, not even rubbish!!

We drove back around to the other camps and up the hill above the mine shafts. Nice view.



A couple of shafts were deep, others just channels obviously following the quartz vein.

Back to the van for a cuppa and the weigh in. Steve’s 17 nuglets came to 7.20 grams, again. The bigger one as a black coating on it that we couldn’t get off.


He also had 3 quartz specimens which he smashed with a hammer to get out the gold. So he ended up with 11.47 grams for the day so another good day. We could get used to this.



Steve’s rock crushing plant.

My two little nuglets only came to 0.23 gram – a big drop from yesterday.

My 6 rocks only showed little bits of gold on the outside.



Steve crushed them. Of my big rock only this bit of rock had the gold.

He got 2.82 grams of gold from them so I made 3 grams today which I was very happy with.


I had weighed one of Steve’s specimens (1.74g) then he got out the quartz and it weighed 1.33g. Interesting to see how much the quartz weighed.

Leanne had rung so I rang her back – they have got their site and job (Gate 12 again) for Bathurst. We will miss not being there this year.

Bees are enjoying the water dripping from our washing up waste pipe. It sounds funny listening their buzz come up through the pipes. When I washed our detecting clothes in the shower water though I ended up with 6 dead bees in the wash!!

As the sun sets the wind drops so it is lovely and pleasant outside around the fire.


No comments:

Post a Comment