Friday 30 September 2016

Fri, 30th Sept, 2016 Peace Gorge, Meekatharra to Bush camp on Big Bell Mining leases, near Cue, WA


Nicer morning 18.8 degrees at 7.30am though the van is all closed up. Watched Sunrise and heard all about the terrible weather South Australia is having. Sent off some texts to see how family and friends are surviving down there.

Leanne & Rick rang as they drove around Bathurst. It is only 7 degrees there at their 11am!! Nice and sunny and it feels nice and warm outside as we packed up and headed into town.

Topped up with water again. I went to check out a blue colour in the pool and it was the remains of two fire extinguishers contents – I wonder who used them!!

I went to the shop and got some lettuce, tomatoes and carrots – the bananas were solid green so skipped them. Notice outside said there is to be no take-away grog sales over the weekend as the police are predicting unrest – doesn’t sound like we should hang around town.

Steve went into the Mining Dept to get maps of Cue and Mt Magnet. The chap, Roy, suggested stopping at the Bluebird Mine out of town and getting permission to go onto their leases at Cue.

We did and after signing some paperwork we headed off with maps of their leases etc. That was easy – learning new things all the time – just have to ask.

On the bitumen passed Lake Annean and where we first detected so now onto road we haven’t travelled yet. Fairly flat with some small hills till Tuckanurra – looks like a few old mines around here too. Then through flat country with lots of shrubs and more wildflowers making it a colourful drive. Lots of pink ones near the dry Lake Nallan – it is a popular picnic spot after the wet.


Into Cue which was established in 1894. 

There are historical walks and drives to lots of things from here so will do some sightseeing one day. Stopped in the park for lunch and Steve chatted with some Gold Coast people. Tried the TV but no Channel 10 for Bathurst, only ABC. Called into the Info Centre and the helpful lady gave us lots of info, a clean up Australia pack (complete with gloves and tongs – we need new tongs for the bushcooker) and said to take as many books as we wanted from the bookshelves. I got a few good ones so will drop back my read ones later.

Drove out of town towards the historic township/mine of Big Bell then turned off and through the fence (we are on Austin Downs Station) till we found a spot to camp. Lots of pretty little flowers around us.




A warmer day though the wind has come up as we headed off to detect. I put on my cotton knickers, shorts and shirt and I still made the detector sound off when I held on my right side. My left shoulder complained when I used that arm so went back to the van to do my blog and read. Obviously my detecting days are over till I sort out this electrical thing with the detector and me!!
No gold for Steve either. Drinkies time as I closed up the van from the wind. Rang Jeff to let him know how we went at Ruby Well.

Rick & Kaylene sent a photo of dinner with Wendy, David, Andrea and Alan at their place, saying they missed us. That was so lovely – miss them all too. We rang back to say so.

The wind kept blowing as the sun set so decided to use the gas to heat the hot water tonight rather than try and light the fire. The temperature is dropping too.



No comments:

Post a Comment