Friday 16 September 2016

Wed, 14th Sept, 2016 Albert Tognolini Lookout near Karijini NP to Dales Campground, Karijini NP, WA


7am 16.5 degrees with a strong wind blowing from the south-east. Clear blue sky.

Tried ringing Kaylene for her birthday so left her a singing message on her home phone then sent a text to her mobile. Poor girl must have had to work on her birthday. Sent Alexander a text as it is his birthday too – I think he is still overseas so not sure he will get it. Sent Erica & Terry a text wishing them happy wedding anniversary. Also I remember my friend, Jo as it was her birthday too.

Headed off early down the road. Stopped at a camera sign for a photo of the mountain – wonder if this turns into a waterfall during the wet.

Turned off into Karijini National Park. Lovely drive in.

It is WA’s 2nd largest national park, covering 627,441 ha. The north section has the gorges, waterfalls and pools while the southern section is inaccessible. Stopped at the self-register entrance station to pay $12 to enter but I only had a $5 note, a couple of $1 and lots of 20 cent pieces which I got into the envelope but we couldn’t fit it in the payment slot. Drove down to the Information Centre which is 10km further in. Very interesting design – supposed to resemble a goanna which depicts the movement of the local people from past to present.



A lovely ‘local’ lady served us and I handed over my envelope saying ‘I thought they would have credit card’ and she said they do here. She asked if I had any concession so I showed her the National Senior card and she asked where we were from. When I said Cairns she gave me the discount, so only $6 and the two nights campground fee was only $26.40 instead of $40. Very nice lady.

Had a look around the display which had a lot of the local people and about Hammersley Station and how the ranges formed etc. This one was about the complex rules of marriage of the four skin types.



On a further 10km to the campground. Volunteer camp hosts allocated us a spot. Plenty of room. No phone reception though so glad I sent off those texts this morning.

Had a cuppa then drove down the road a bit to check out Fortescue Falls. Good signage everywhere. Also about asbestos – will have to keep a look out for it.


Little lizards were happy to get their photo taken but when Steve tried to pat them, they ran off quickly.


The view from the top down to the falls.


Looking down Dales Gorge.

Oh no – not stairs. We haven’t done stairs for such a long time!!

Half way down for another view up the gorge then over the pool.



The rock formations are interesting.


Down to the top of the falls area but we continued on to Fern Pool (Jubura) rather than climbing down the rock platforms to the main pool. Lovely walk.





A very pretty spot.



There is a platform with a ladder into the water but the breeze was still cool so I just took off my boots and soaked my feet. I have a boot tan line that I will have to get rid of before I get home!!

There are lots of perch but they weren’t interested in nibbling my smelly feet!!

A few corellas were resting in the trees above.

A lot of flying foxes were too – and they were making a lot of noise.




Back to the main pool but we decided to head back to the van for lunch then do the longer walks.


Needed to put some water on the rocks to bring out their colour.


A banksia (I think).


After lunch we headed back down the steps to Fortescue Falls pool then walked along the narrow edge to get to the end of the pool. Got out our walking sticks – haven’t used them for a long time.

Selfie time at the bottom of the pool. Nice flat rock to walk into the water on but it is very slippery. After this my fly net went on!!





Following little yellow markers as we meander our way down Dale’s Gorge. 








Some bits were a bit tricky to traverse.




Steve noticed a ledge about to collapse so he put his walking stick up to support it!!



He noticed a sign under the ledge which he reckons says “come and sit under this rock ledge out of the sun”!! I think it means “don’t sit here or rocks could fall on you”. He says it should have a cross through it!!

Continued on.









Found some Blue Asbestos.



Crossed over the creek again.


More pretty flowers.


Wonga Mick has been here – Steve added another to the pile. Glad we weren’t here when the big ones fell down!!

Turned off the main creek at the Three Ways then headed upstream of another one to get to Circular Pool. Steve reckons this is a Bottle Tree with its oak-like leaves.

Lots of broken slabs to walk over as we head up this gorge.







Looking back down the gorge.

Above us is Circular Pool Lookout.

We can see why it has that name as the walls around the pool are in a half circle.



The pool looks lovely and there are a couple of people having a swim.


We had brought our togs but as it was shady and cool I decided to just put my feet in again. Not as cold as Millaa Falls of course but very refreshing. Steve said I looked like a dwarf with my feet in the water.


As I got used to it I decided to wash my face then I dunked my hair in. Did the big hair flick so Steve could get a photo. Then I had to do it again for him – now I am very cool as the water has soaked my back!! Should have put my togs on and got in after all that!!


While I dried my feet and hair he went for a walk around the edge of the pool taking photos.






Another international couple arrived for a dip. He decided to go around the other side and jump in. I took a photo while she was taking a photo – thought my boys might like it!!

Back down the track again to climb up the wall face to the lookout we saw before. Someone had concreted in rocks to make steps up the wall – so glad they did.


We are glad we were going up as I don’t think I would have enjoyed going down it!! Made me giddy taking the photo!! (Oops sideways photo)

Up the top we walked around to the Three Ways Lookout, which was not at the junction!!




More pretty flowers.




Another cute lizard – Steve reckons they have back legs like frogs which he is showing off here.

Further along the gorge rim we reached the Circular Pool Lookout. No one left swimming.


The walls and view back down that gorge.


Had to back track to where we walked up so we could then walk back following the Gorge Rim track. Beautiful white gums.

Further along the track I found a better spot for the 3 Ways Lookout.



A couple of signs about plants.




Another good viewing point – no fence here so I watched my step near the edge.




Further along another view of the 3 Ways, straight on, or as Steve calls it the Y Junction.


Nearly back to Fortescue Falls but decided to head back to the van for a cuppa. Only took us a couple of hours to do the circuit.





After a cuppa Steve went for a walk back to the Camp Host with a few magazines he has read to swap them as they had magazine and books to swap. He chatted with another couple holidaying from Brisbane, a plumber/gasfitter.

Three German girls in a little car are camped next to us and two came over to ask if they could plug into our 12 volt to pump up their air beds as they cigarette lighter in the car doesn’t work. They did and we chatted while the beds blew up. Steve then went over and fixed their 12 volt connection so they will be fine from now on.

Lots of other people have arrived today but the camp ground is big so you hardly know anyone else is here. No fires and no phone service. The wind has stopped. I had to put a cardi on as it was getting a bit cool as the sun went down.

No comments:

Post a Comment